Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 6:

The children were deemed better than expected, 26 in all, whew. No one cried, some knew their colors and numbers, I assumed we were smooth sailing (yes, I stalked John Kerry, see below, and gave him my two cents on Syria). Maybe ten out of twenty-six responded in circle time. We were golden. Then, we divided the groups for those that would leave on the bus at 10 am and those that would walk a few yards to their homes on the other side of the fence from the school. I was left alone with seven, three of which began to wail and the other four sprinted outside of the class into the courtyard to find their parent. I left the class to chase after one whom I caught, Vava, and who proceeded to lay into me with her little teeth. I tore her away and she took my skin with her. She was terrified and we were equal in our shock. I was rushed to the nurse's office (who I also found out later is also a masseuse; score) , and assured that I had contracted nothing; I called my doctor in the states. That awarded me the Haitian beer Prestige (which you see below) and a wonderful evening with my roommates in St Marc. I finally had Haitian Dollars and took an unprecedented moto taxi back to school. Never before had I felt closer to God's creation (attempting to post video). This country's edges are sharp, but rounded. And its people are a product of their environment: warm, open, smiling, and giving all they have to those who deserve so much less and have so much more.















1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize John Kerry had roots in Haiti....:) susan

    ReplyDelete