Monday, September 30, 2013

Do One Thing Everyday...

...that scares you:

"Bonsoir.
Mesi paske w'vini.
Mrele Emily.
Mwen se profese angle PSB.
Mwen kontan fe konesans avek nou.
Epi fe konesans ak ti moun ou yo.
Mwen pa gen pwoblem pou nou poze m'nempot kesyen nou vle, nempot kile, nempot kote."

"Good evening.
Thank you for coming.
My name is Emily.
I am the English teacher for PSB.
I'm happy to meet you.
And to have met your children.
Please feel comfortable asking me any questions throughout the year."

Scariest thing so far in Haiti? Introducing myself in Creole for the first meeting with the parents of our class. Needless to say, Venine spoke the rest of the time (ahem, 90 minutes) and I gave a brief blip about English progressions for the year. In which, I basically said we're really working on niceties (please, thank you, excuse me), coughing into our elbows, and not hitting or biting. I.e., work on this at home in your own way of disciplining your child. Hopefully that came across.

No comments:

Post a Comment